Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Today I sat on an interview panel with some of my other colleagues in Tech.
We had three candidates, one of which was internal, and likely to be picked, cos he already knew his onions, but the manager still had to follow through.

Usually when I'm not the hiring manager, I generally ask one question: Tell me what you understand by the job you are here to interview for. Nine times out of ten, the candidate doesn't even know, or can't explain. Once you don't know, interview ends for me. I still do that for my own hires, but I still try to ask a few dud questions, just to appear transparent and fair. I mean...you came for an interview and you didn't understand the role? Total waste of my time.

Today was no different. The first candidate was totally terrible, next one failed my 'Cooper Test', but was still an interesting prospect for a more junior role,. The third one (did I hear you say yeah right, the internal one) was the only one who came out to bat. And he definitely did not bunt.

Moral of the story is...interview slots these days are few and far between. Why should you go and be wasting people's precious time? If you don't understand a job role, you won't get the job, period. Except of course you know the hiring manager, possibly even in the Biblical sense.

So all of y'all, be on the lookout for skeptics and haterz like me in your next job interview...which may be soon!

1 comment:

  1. hmm very obvious test for job-hunters.. but some adverts dont have detailed job descriptions tehy are either to broad or to specific, with only the hiring managers knowing exactly what they want, the HR people have just added some few bits to make it look professional-copy and paste style.
    It's also very advisable to call up hiring staff for informal chat about the vacancy and some org around here do that even leaving phone numbers of who you can speak to-doubt if this is available for nigerian vacancies though

    ReplyDelete