Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Seeing Opportunity in Importunity?

I had car trouble yesterday, and had to hitch a ride with a friend home. We were stuck on 3rd Mainland for almost an hour, and he asked me 'Don't you think there is something we can do, some kind of business opportunity, seeing as more than 3 million or so cars are stuck in traffic in Lagos everyday? You've a creative guy, that's what you do, think!' And I burst out laughing.

You see, for many years, I used to think like this my friend. And basically, that's how the average Nigerian living in Nigeria thinks. When we were in primary school, there was this Yoruba poem we learnt, titled 'Ire ti o wa ninu ibi', meaning, the Good in Evil. The poem basically said look at doctors, grave diggers, casket makers, lawyers, executioners, etc. They make money from someone else's misfortune. So therefore, there must be a good thing to be derived from someone else's misfortune?

But let's look at this critically. Is it really a good thing to profit from someone else's misfortune? Find opportunity in importunity? I've thought about it of late, and made a personal conclusion, which is what influenced the answer I gave my friend.

I told him 'Look, there is no solution. Government should just do what they should do, build more roads, repair bad ones, create new routes. After all we pay them taxes, and we have oil money. What else should we do?'

I guess what he was expecting was for me to propose some kind of telecoms solution that enables commuters to maybe get MMSs of gridlock spots, or some kind of traffic alerts. For what? So they can sit in Sue bar for hours waiting for traffic to subside? It's not like the information will change anything. Today is Thursday, and everyday since Monday I have spent 2 hours between Ikoyi, where I work, and Ikeja, where I live.

I think we all need to stop deceiving our selves that we have found any solutions. Those solutions are not individual solutions. Government should solve the major problems with the nation: food, clothing, shelter, infrastructure, public transportation, etc. Once they do that, they can watch and see how things will fall in place.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. well your solution could be a blessing for sue bar as well seeing as customers will probably be ordering more drinks till the traffic becomes bearable!
    But yea leaving it to govt is the right thing

    ReplyDelete