Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Of Me, Music, and Boredom

This week, it has been a bit lazy for me. Generally I've not had much to do. So I spent most of my work days listening to much of my music archive at work, while pretending to be busy.Started with classical and hymns, moved up to hip hop and reggae, and now on African jazz. Altogether it was a fun experience, but nobody to share the joys with, so i resorted to blogging about it.
Music has changed so much, it's almost unrecognizable nowadays. As a student, my music tastes were wide and diverse, from comtemporary to ancient, classical to jazz, hip hop to Rock. You name it, I listened to it. Still do to a large extent.
I wonder why the current generation of youth/aspirational don't want to deepen their music listening, but rather focus on the mundane. Names like 'Slow Money', 'Mad Cash', 'Vocal Slender' now rule the airwaves. All singing the same stuff. 'Owo to yapa', 'Igboro ti Daru', 'Nothing do me because I be Shayo', etc, etc. Smacks of our typical short- cut attitude. These chaps are doing it to fill their bellies, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment